Tuesday 8 January 2013

Homemade Moisturiser with Shea Butter, Aloe Vera and Almond Oil

With my homemade experiments working quite well recently. I decided to try and refine my moisturiser recipe for the winter. My current moisturiser has done wonders for my skin. Check out homemade moisturiser. However, I feel like I need something a bit more intense for the winter months.

I decided to add Shea Butter to the mix. Having used it in my homemade lip balms, I thought I'd try it here. Shea Butter is very rich, but it is not pore clogging. Did you know that there is a comedogenic (pore clogging) scale? Shea Butter and Aloe Vera score 0 on this scale, meaning that it is not at all pore clogging. See this website on Comedogenic Scale For Other Ingredients



Ingredients:
Shea Butter
Aloe Vera Gel
Almond Oil
Essential Oil is optional ( I used Orange)

I recently used shea butter to make a hand cream and tried to whip it by hand, mixing it with almond oil. The result was a great thick moisturiser, but it took a lot of hard work and the shea butter left some small grains in the cream.

This time, I decided to gently heat the Shea butter in a pan so that it was easier to mix.



I used 3 tablespoons of Aloe Vera Gel and added 1 tablespoon of Almond Oil and used a knob of shea butter. I wasn't so strict with amounts, but I would say the amount of butter you would need for a sandwich. This makes enough for 1 jar. I used an old moisturiser jar and rinsed it with boiling water.


Method:
I whipped the aloe vera and almond oil together first. It should have a yoghurt consistency. If it is lumpy, you probably need more aloe vera. I then heated the shea butter very gently on the lowest setting. Once it melted, I gradually added the shea butter to the mixture while mixing it in.


I ended up with a lovely creamy textured mixture. I added about 3/4 drops of Orange essential oil, which is just lovely. Shea butter doesn't have the most pleasant of smells. It is quite strong, but I can see how some people might actually like it too. Perhaps it's one of those Love/Hate things. Adding essential oil helps with the smell.

**orange works fine for my skin, but my mum said it irritated her skin and she is a bit allergic to citrus fruits, so try another oil if you have allergies**

I was very pleased with this moisturiser. I have quite dry skin and it has worked really well for me. The Aloe Vera has a tightening quality to it, whereas the shea butter has the intense moisturising element. I find it works well under my makeup as well and keeps my skin hydrated all day.


1 comment: