Sunday 2 September 2012

Getting Married Abroad Tips Part 1

Some people are lucky enough to know if they want to get married abroad or have a traditional wedding at home. But for some, it can be a tough decision with a lot to think about.

Are you having trouble deciding?

I knew from a young age I wanted a wedding abroad. I was at a wedding in Cyprus and just thought the atmosphere, the weather and everyone's mood was amazing. I just knew that's what I wanted to do. I suppose the decision would be even more difficult if you have never been to a wedding abroad.

This article is bound to be biased as I just think a wedding abroad is the only way! But I have tried my best to be impartial ;)




Things to think about:

Small or big? It is harder to reign in the numbers at a home wedding. Usually those who really want to, will make the effort to go abroad. On the contrary, you may want a big wedding, which means a wedding abroad may not be the best option, as not everyone can make it.

Elderly relatives? or any relatives who you would dearly love to be at your wedding, but can't make it because of travelling.

Kids? It's not really a viable option to ask people to leave their kids at home for a wedding abroad. It's best to give people the choice at least. With a wedding abroad, it's more likely kids will be invited as babysitting is more difficult.

Weather? Does the weather bother you? Do you dream of having a beautiful sunny wedding day? Lets face it, if you live in the UK/Ireland, it's really not likely.

Atmosphere - I have to say one of the best things about a wedding abroad is the fact that the guests are on holiday and have had a chance to get to know each other before the event. There is a great relaxed vibe going on rather than formality.

Parents - some parents have a huge problem with their son or daughter getting married abroad. They would prefer the traditional path. I was lucky enough that my parents were totally up for the idea, so no battling with that one. Both sets of grandparents have passed, so I didn't have an issue with elderly people travelling.

Costs for guests - if there are certain people you definitely want at your wedding, but you're not sure they can afford it, it might be best to mention it to them and see what they think. You can help by picking somehwhere with reasonably priced accomodation and flights.

A wedding planner? I would most certainly recommend a wedding planner for a wedding abroad. It takes a great deal of the stress out of it. But would you be happy with this? You still get to pick everything you want, but your choices are limited - sometimes not a bad thing!




If you are considering a wedding abroad, I would say do it if you absolutely want to. I would only really be concerned about the opinions of those you want at your wedding. Be prepared for the fact that a lot of people might not be able to go. This wasn't a problem for us. We wanted an intimate wedding.

I'm not sure that we spent less, but the standard of venue, location and food was out of this world for the price we paid. I don't think we could have afforded a similar wedding in Ireland.

Hopefully that wasn't too biased - I tried my best!

My next post will look at tips for getting married abroad. Watch this space :)


Have you any questions on getting married abroad? Let me know below :)

Maybe you've had a wedding abroad? Let me know your thoughts on this post :)



No comments:

Post a Comment